Are there any good D&D podcasts with an OSR bent? I'm particularly interested in podcasts which aren't just a recording of somebody's games.I've been listening to OSR-related podcasts since getting back into the hobby in 2010. This post addresses all the podcasts and OSR-related episodes that occur to me right now.
I'll be mentioning Youtube videos - e.g. On Air Hangout interviews - in addition to podcasts. Here's what I do with those:
- Rip them with Video DownloadHelper.
- Extract the audio to an mp3. Here's some methods... I use another similar one.
- (Y'know, if you wanted, you could author a podcast RSS feed XML file with those rips in it, and host it on an Apache server on your home machine, to get that particular inboxy/podcatchery experience. I've got an XML file format that works if you're interested... there's probably also software that does it.)
Purple text is to indicate that there's a lot of high-density OSR content to be found - I don't want it to be hidden behind a puny HTML hyperlink.
Full-blown D&D/OSR podcasts - the obvious candidates
If you're diving into them for the first time, maybe cherry pick an interesting-sounding interview episode, rather than a "this time we're covering the <whatever> class". Just find the episode lists and have a scroll.
- Roll for Initiative link - AD&D. The longest running. There was a stretch when episodes were a bit hit and miss for my tastes - a single product reviewed for too long with insufficient prep, say - but the latest bunch I've been listening to have been pretty good!
- Save or Die link - OD&D/"classic". I really like the current team here too, they work great together, and they make an effort to prep for product reviews and discussions. Some earlier episodes may be a bit of a grind but they've got a good dynamic and formula now. Mike Stewart/Sieg taking the helm pepped it up a bit -- the pressure to not screw it up I guess :-).
- THACO's Hammer link - AD&D 2e. In theory I'm not much drawn to 2e offerings but this show is always really good. I used to think it was my favourite of the set actually.
- Spellburn link - Dungeon Crawl Classics. Consistently strong and entertaining since it began. Still in its early days by comparison. They may hit a wall like RFI or SoD when they ran out of core book material to discuss. Goodman Games seems dynamic and prolific though so maybe they're lucky and that won't happen.
- Dead Games Society link - The DGS playing dead games. This podcast is still finding its feet but I have enjoyed listening to it nonetheless.
OSR episodes in general RPG podcasts
- The Independent Insurgency, ep 32: Ron Edwards and James Raggi talk in Finland link
- The Role-Playing Hour, ep 288: AD&D (actually, a hilarious and bawdy radio play) link
- Penny Red ep 11 (Tim Brannan interview) link, ep 12 (James Maliszewski interview) link, ep 13 (Zak Smith interview) link
- Geeki & Genki OSR-tagged episodes link
- The Game's the Thing link to feed, see ep 61 for Matt Finch, ep 86 for Jim Raggi and Zak S, and ep 99 for Geof McKinney
- It looks like Happy Jacks have a couple of OSR-related episodes but I haven't heard them link
- RPG Circus interviewed Jim Raggi "No School Like the Old School" link
- Jennisodes: ep 165 (Jim Raggi, BTAM) link, ep 158 (Jennell Jacquays) link, ep 138 (Jayson Elliot, Gygax Magazine) link, special 25 (Jeff Rients/Broodmother) link, special 24 (James Desborough/LotFP campaign) link, special 23 (Michael Curtis/LotFP campaign) link, special 22 (Jukka Sarkijarvi/LotFP campaign) link, special 21 (Anna Kreider/LotFP campaign) link, special 20 (Mike Pohloja/LotFP campaign) link, special 19 (Kelvin Green/LotFP campaign) link, special 18 (Jeff Sparks/LotFP campaign) link, special 17 (Richard Pett/LotFP campaign) link, special 16 (Ville Vuorela/LotFP campaign) link, special 15 (Vincent Baker/LotFP campaign) link, special 14 (Johnathon Bingham/LotFP campaign) link, special 13 (Kevin Crawford/LotFP campaign) link, special 12 (Jim Raggi/LotFP campaign) link, ep 93 (Kirin Robinson/Old School Hack) link, ep 84 (Jim Raggi, LotFP) link, ep 83 (Joseph Bloch/Adventures Dark & Deep) link
OSR Youtube channels and videos
There's probably a ton of other OSR-related channels on Youtube. I know various game producers (e.g. Venger Satanis, Jim Raggi) have channels. I haven't listened much to those so I'll let you tell me what's good.
- Indie+: Why You Should Play FLAILSNAILS (this was great - a roundup and history of FLAILSNAILS gaming on G+) link
- Indie+: What Happens When You Take Story Gamers And Put Them In An OSR Dungeon? (a short AP) link
- Old and New School Sims and Diffs with Baker and Raggi link
- An interview with Tim Kask by Fear the Boot link
- Dorkland! Very good. A ton of interviews including many OSR folks. I might miss a few were I to list them here as I did above. link
- Geeky Voices Carry... to be honest, I haven't listened to this yet. It may be all-OSR-all-the-time, it might not. Anyone listened to it? Anyone on it? :-) link
- Grognard Games - includes some interviews with TSR old guard too - link
- AetherCon - Judge's Guild Roundtable link (added 15 Jun 2014)
- ConTessa - WTF is the OSR? link (added 15 Jun 2014)